It’s the most wonderful time of the year when conventions come to town! Weather it’s your first convention or tenth it’s normal to get butterflies mixed with nervousness and excitement. Conventions are a chance for dancers to take classes from new amazing teachers and choreographers, you’ll be learning a lot of dances over one weekend; But it’s not about memorization it’s about absorbing knowledge!
We’ve got some great insight for you from our Risingstar Company! They took the time to come up with 14 tips on how to prepare and make this convention the best one yet!
- Have Fun! Dance Isn’t Just for Winning
– The best part about conventions is you’re with ALL you friends and you get to meet new friends!
- Wear Something Neon, Bright, and Something You Feel Comfortable In
– Wearing something colorful will help get you noticed, but wearing something you feel comfortable moving and dancing in is even more important.
- Do Not Sit Down, Always Practice on the Side
– It doesn’t last forever the time for rest will come, but when it’s dance time..DANCE!
- Try Your Best and Don’t Be Afraid to Make Mistakes
– Mistakes = growth
- NO means Next Opportunity
– This is not the end. Opportunities will always come and you just have to keep practicing so you are ready.
- Be Respectful – Raise Your Hand Don’t Blurt Out
– Classroom Etiquette and student behavior is top priority. Be respectful to the teacher and other students around you.
- It’s OKAY if You Don’t Win a Scholarship
– Not winning a scholarship doesn’t mean you didn’t try your best or aren’t a good dancer, it just means – NEXT OPPORTUNITY
- Eat Healthy
– Keeping you body fuelled for the entire weekend is important, your body will thank you later.
- Do Your hair and Have Appropriate Clothes
– Don’t roll out of bed and go to the convention, do your favorite hairstyle, use some hair spray. Have appropriate clothes; put on sweatpants for Hip Hop and don’t have baggy clothes for ballet.
- Make Sure you Have all Your Shoes
– Always have the correct dance shoes, sneakers for Hip Hop, Ballet slippers, tap shoes, if you want to go barefoot or socks that’s okay too!
- Spread Out When Picking Your Spot and Get In the Front
– Dancing in the front makes it easier to focus and learn the choreography, having enough space is important too so you can do moves full out, but don’t worry there will be time for smaller groups too!
- Don’t Give Up! When You Are Tired That’s When you Work Harder!
– The weekend will end, you will get to go home and rest, but when you are at the convention time that is not the time to rest!
- Get a Good Night Sleep!
– You body will thank you for going to bed early, don’t scroll on tiktok all night long get some rest!
- Lastly, Do not eat Taco Bell
– Molly has learn from experience Taco Bell does not mix well with dance conventions